Thursday, July 30, 2009

When Less is More

Since this is a blog about living better with less, let's talk about something I know everyone can live better with less of - junk mail!

I know what you're thinking, "But, Valerie, you request all of those free samples."

Yes, I do, but I generally have a mailbox stuffed with goodies not trash. Most companies just send what I requested and that's the end of it. Since I don't want a mailbox stuffed with unsolicited catalogs and sales literature, I signed up for "opt out". Now I almost never get something that I am not expecting, and living with less junk mail has certainly made my life better.

Here are three sites you can visit to reduce your junk mail too:

1. OptOutPrescreen.com - You may already be familiar with this site; it's where you can register to opt out of "offers of credit or insurance." When you sign up, you can opt out for five years or opt out permanently (you can always opt back in if you change your mind later). By opting out, you will no longer receive preapproved or prescreened offers of credit.

2. DMAchoice.org - The Direct Marketing Association has a mailing list that is used by DMA members for direct mail letters, flyers, or brochures. Through the DMA site, you can register on a do-not-mail list and all DMA members are required to stop sending you unsolicited marketing media.

3. AbacusOptOut - Abacus, a subsidiary of Epsilon Data Services, has a large database of mailing addresses from retail and catalog companies. Members share information about their customers and transactions which other companies then use to send out catalogs and mailers.

It only takes a few minutes to complete each registration, and by signing up for the Do Not Mail list at these services, the amount of junk mail that you receive will drop dramatically.

If you don't do it for any other reason, do it for the environment - we will all live better with less greenhouse gases!

No comments: