Thursday, August 27, 2009

Super Couponer In The News

A friend of mine was kind enough to forward the following link about Kathy Spencer, a mom from Boston who feeds her family of six on an average of $4 a week. I do pretty well at the grocery store most of the time, but my hat is off to Kathy. She has perfected couponing to an art!

I followed the link to Kathy's website to find out what I could learn from her. Despite the fact that the invitation I received to join her site said that membership was free if I signed up today, I was charged $1 for one year. I did not find her site to be very user friendly, nor does she provide the tools for learning to use coupons like she does. It is simply a website of discussion threads posted by other members, and advertisements from people wanting to sell books and services that are initially disguised helpful articles. I was disappointed. I did, however, find out about a deal at Target on cat food that will save me considerably more than membership fee, so it was worth the $1 investment.


But enough from me! Read on to find out about Kathy's insane savings...


If you want to le
arn how to be insanely efficient with coupon clipping and watching for sales, follow Kathy Spencer and learn from the master. WCVB TV in Boston notes that Spencer manages to spend only $4 on average each week to feed her husband, four kids, and four pets. We carefully re-read the pets line to make sure there was no past tense involved, as this would suggest cheating on where the food comes from. But nope, they're still around, so it looks like she really is good with coupons and sales.

This kind of savings doesn't come without a cost, of course; expect to spend about 5 hours each week cutting coupons and hitting up grocery stores, which means added fuel costs as well. But hey, $4 dinners!

"Mom Feeds Family For Under $10 A Week" [WCVBTV Boston] (Thanks to Christopher!)

No comments: