Friday, November 6, 2009

Guest Post: Ivan Shreve and the Elusive Bacon-Wrapped Scallop

I'm sure that it doesn't take reader's long to figure out that I like Publix. It is my favorite place to grocery shop! And it seems that I am in good company...

A long time friend, and the writer of a blog called "Thrilling Days of Yesteryear", shares my love for Publix. Ivan (not so) recently shared his quest to redeem a rain check for bacon-wrapped scallops. I loved the story and intended to link it to this blog, but as it generally does, life obligation's got in the way and soon the story slipped my mind.

I was recently reminded of Ivan's Publix adventure. With a little digging around (very little really), I found Ivan's post. I hope you find it as funny as I did both times I read it...

The Half-Assed Gourmand #8: In pursuit of the elusive Bacon-Wrapped Scallop

I’m sure it hasn’t escaped anyone’s attention that I often have a tendency to discuss the weekly pilgrimages to Publix I make in the company of my mother; she does about 95% of her shopping there because she became a fan of the outfit when they first opened up a store in Savannah, GA and has been a regular customer ever since. Speaking only for myself, I honestly have no allegiance to any grocery store in particular—but for the most part my weekly trips to Publix are always pleasurable, and most of the people that work there know both me and my mother by now…you know the old TV saw about going “where everybody knows your name.”
Two weeks ago, the friendly relationship between me and the popular grocery chain experienced a brief rift....more

No comments: