Friday, November 13, 2009

"When Snob Meets Frugalist", or, "I Have a Mont Blanc!"


The RM accused me of being a pen snob. I’m not. Really! I don’t care what brand a pen is; I only care how it writes. I want it to write smoothly, without scratching the paper, and it can't leave any inks blobs or skips. Preferably in a medium point. Oh, and it has to feel good in my hand.

Well, it turns out that I have been craving the high-end writing experience but shopping with a student’s budget. So I was thrilled when the RM sent me a Mont Blanc "hack". (I didn’t know what that meant either – I had to ask!) It seems that with a minor modification, a Mont Blanc pen refill will fit in an ordinary pen, thus giving you the Mont Blanc experience without the $200+ Mont Blanc price-tag.



Step 1: Purchase a standard retractable Pilot G2 Pro pen (about $3) and a Mont Blanc refill (about $12/2) from your local office supply store.
Step 2: Disassemble the G2.
Step 3: Cut a Mont Blanc refill to the same length as the G2 ink cartridge.
Step 4: Reassemble the G2 using the altered Mont Blanc refill.
Step 5: Enjoy your fifteen dollar $200-writing-experience. (And btw, since you used the standard retractable, you can see the Mont Blanc brand name on the refill through the semi-opaque handle.)

Now I wouldn’t normally spend $15.00 on a pen, but since it is technically now a Mont Blanc… I would have to call that a deal!

And I guess you can call me a pen snob.

No comments: