Thursday, September 17, 2009

Free Offer Isn't So Free

Dear Readers -

A few weeks ago I came across a great deal on EasyBakeware. EasyBakeware is the flexible silicon kitchen products that can go from freezer to oven to dishwasher without damage, and the products do not get hot in the oven. You can literally reach in to a hot oven, and remove a cake in an EasyBakeware pan with your bare hands, and not get burned.

The deal I found was for an item of your choice for free, all you had to pay was shipping. And even then they had a deal that would allow you to get it shipped for only $1. It sounded great and I almost posted it. But it sounded almost too great, so I decided to check it out first by ordering a cookie sheet for myself.

Two days ago I received a phone call from someone who claimed to be from my bank. This person stated that she was doing a routine security check on my debit/credit card, and wanted me to "confirm my identity" by providing specific personal information.

Now, I have been with the same bank for over 15 years and I have never received this type of phone call. What's more, I know that you should never provide this type of information to someone you don't know, regardless of who they say they are or what company they are with. Rather than answer her questions, I decided to go to my bank and talk to customer service in person. As you have probably already guessed, the bank representative said that this was not a call from their security department.

The call was a scam phishing for information with which to commit identity theft. 

The reason that I am telling you all of this is three-fold:
  1. You should never give your personal information to someone you don't know unless you know with all certainty that you are dealing with a legitimate company. Your bank, credit card company, etc., is not going to call you asking for this information.
  2. If at all possible, purchase things over the internet or phone with payment service such as PayPal. PayPal is a secure service with an unquestionable reputation. It will not cost anything additional for you to pay through them, and you will prevent other people from having your bank/debit card/credit card information.
  3. If you come across an ad for Free EasyBakeware - pass it up! I am certain that this is where the fraudulent call originated from. The old adage "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" is probably the best guide to use when searching the internet for freebies.
Everyone loves to get free stuff, and I will do my best to only bring you honest free offers. Ultimately it's up to you to protect yourself. As long as you use your head, those freebies don't have to cost you thousands of dollars and your credit rating!

No comments: