Saturday, September 5, 2009

Shopping at Target on $6.08

I just completed my first Target coupon shop today. Using the list of "Best Target Deals" that I posted earlier this week, I bought:

(2) 24 oz. bags Chef Michael’s Dog food
(2) small cans Chef Michael’s dog food
(1) box Special K blueberry cereal
(3) boxes Cinnabon bars
(2) boxes Special K Bliss bars
(1) box Special K bars
(3) Cheerios cereal cups
(2) Dove deodorants
(3) Head & Shoulders travel size

…for a total net total cost after taxes of $6.08. According to the Target receipts, I saved $39.85. This means I got $45.93 in merchandise at an 87% discount. That makes this trip a successful shop.

However, I am not very excited about my Target shopping trip. Like all other stores, Target has their own set of coupon redemption rules and those rules are not necessarily the same as other retailers, or even the same from Target to Target, so I was not able to purchase all of the things that I had planned. Let's just say that today was a learning experience.

What did I learn? I learned several things:

1. Not all Targets have the same coupon redemption policies, so it is important to find out what your particular Target will accept and what they will not accept.

2. The Target that I shop at will only accept coupons whose face value is the same as or less than the price of the item purchased.

3. The exception to Rule #2 is travel sizes. In most cases, the Target that I shop at will not accept a manufacturer’s coupon for a travel-size item even if the face value of that coupon is less than the purchase price of the item, and the coupon does NOT specify “does not include trial size”. However, there is no way to be certain whether or not the coupon will work without trying it – just be prepared to have the travel-sized items removed from the transaction.

4. Target coupons are not necessarily for items that are on special. Read the details of the coupon carefully before purchasing to make sure you are buying the correct products.

5. As with all other stores, if you want the good deals you need to go to Target as soon as possible. If you wait until the end of the week, you may be out of luck.

6. The Target that I shop at will let me stack manufacturer’s coupons and Target coupons for a better deal, but they will not give me credit for more than the purchase price of the item even if the total of the coupons exceeds the purchase price. In other words, if the item costs $1.99, and your stacked coupons total $2.25, you will only get $1.99 off.

7. Carry all of your coupons with you, not just the ones that you plan to use. Target regularly has end caps of clearance merchandise in the health & beauty and grocery aisles. You may find some surprising discounts that can turn into bonus freebies if you are prepared.

8. You should only use someone else’s recommended shopping list (like the one’s that you get on this blog) as a guide. All prices are not the same at all Target’s. The coupon policies at are not the same at all Targets. Not all merchandise is available at all Targets. What works for me at my local Target may not work at your Target. Be flexible. And above all else, have fun!

I am sure that I will do more coupon shopping at Target in the upcoming weeks. They have some merchandise available there that I cannot get at other stores, and they have some deals that are better than I can get at other stores. I do not anticipate Target taking the place of my regular favorite stores though because this is just a Target, not a Super Target, and they do not offer a large enough selection of food items to accommodate my grocery needs.

I will keep you posted on my future savings.

No comments: