Sunday, November 30, 2008

Buying Less to Save More?

Zipping through the express line might save you a couple minutes and a couple of bucks right now, but if you fill up your cart, and consequently your fridge, you'll make fewer overall trips to the store, and save money, energy, and time in the process - proving that less isn't always more.

The benefits to shopping one or less times per week include:

  • Reduced pollution. Half the pollution created in getting your food comes from driving to and from the store (the other half comes from farm to distribution center to store).
  • Reduced gas use. Making extra trips to the store increases your gas consumption. (If you absolutely must go to the store to pick up a few extra items, try to do it when you’re already out running errands or on your way home from work.)
  • Reduced electric bill. Your refrigerator and freezer operate more efficiently when full (but not so full that cold air can't circulate). In a power outage, they'll even hold the temp for twice as long as half-full ones.
  • Less time at the checkout. Even the time you spend parking going to the store for just a couple items eats into the valuable time that you could spend doing other things.

Personally speaking, I know I spend less money overall by buying more groceries with fewer trips. I will plan my meals around store specials, check my grocery needs, purchase items that are on sale, and use coupons to reduce my costs. (Refer to my posting on Nov. 23rd) If I am just running in to grab a couple of items I am more likely to buy something on impulse, and less likely to shop for the better bargain or use coupons.

No comments: