Monday, December 1, 2008

Where Do You Get Your Coupons?

"Where do you get your coupons?" is a question that I am frequently asked by people when they first hear about my super savings with coupons. They seem to think that there is some secret coupon clearing house that only I am privy to.

The truth is I get most of my coupons from the Sunday paper, just like everyone else.

I do get some coupons with the free samples that show up in my mailbox most days, and they're usually pretty good coupons in that they normally don't expire as quickly as the ones in the paper do. I also get some coupons online, but really, these are only a small percentage of the coupons that I use every week to save big at the grocery and drug stores.

I buy two copies of the Sunday paper every week. Yes, it costs me an extra $1.50 to that, but by doubling the amount of coupons I have I double my savings. And the extra savings from those extra coupons more than makes up for the extra expense.

Another source of coupons that is available to everyone, at no cost, are the store fliers.

Walgreens puts coupons in their Easy Saver Catalog every month, and it's not uncommon to be able to combine these store coupons with manufacturer's coupons to get something for free.

Publix publishes several fliers that contain store coupon
s: Publix Health & Beauty circular, Greenwise magazine, a seasonal Family Savings circular, Fresh Flavorful Frozen & More, a seasonal Traditions flier, and Family Style Magazine. All of these publications are available in the stores, however you must subscribe to the Family Style Magazine to get the version with coupons. (The subscription is free.)

All of these sources are great for picking up some additional coupons to create savings that I might not otherwise get, but again, they only make up a small portion of my overall savings.

The real "secret" of my super savings is not in where I get my coupon, but rather in how I use them.

No comments: