Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bi-Lo Follow Up

Ok, I did the Bi-Lo shop today. My subtotal was $15.24. Here’s the breakdown:


· Lipton Ice Tea - $0

Reg. $1.79

· Kraft Salad Dressing - $0

Reg. $2.09

· Pepperidge Farm Garlic Bread - $0

Reg. $2.50

· Pepperidge Farm Cake - $0

Reg. $4.15

· (2) DiGiorno Pizzas - $13.44

Price $6.72/ea.

· (2) Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate Mix - $1.80

Reg. $2.16/ea., Sale $1.50/ea., (2) coupons .30¢/ea (doubled)


Technically, I saved $13.05. Personally, I’m not impressed.


I wouldn’t normally buy this kind of stuff, and $15.24 is a pretty good chunk out of my budget for 2 dinners and some sides. I really would have been better off to stick to my regular shopping and eating habits, and purchased meat, veggies, and sides on sale. For $15 dollars, I could probably feed myself and The Roommate 4-5 meals. It would have been better for both my budget and my diet.


(As a side note, The Roommate is happy – he likes this kind of junk food.)


I met another avid couponer while I was at Bi-Lo. She says that she shops at Bi-Lo all the time and saves more money there than anywhere else. She has also saved a lot of money at the pumps with Bi-Lo’s fuelperks program.


The Bi-Lo fuelperks program lets you save .05¢ per gallon savings, up to 20 gallons, for every $50 you spend. It’s real easy to participate. All you have to do is get a Bi-Lo Bonus Card at the customer service desk and have it scanned whenever you shop. Your receipt will show you how much you’ve earned towards your reward.


The catch: Fuelperks are only redeemable at Sunoco, and they expire. Per the Bi-Lo literature, “Rewards expire after the current month they are earned in, plus 3 months. For example, earn fuelperks! On October 10th and they expire on January 31st.”


I’m not positive how fuelperks are calculated, but it appears as if it is based on your total plus the value of any coupons that you used, including the value of the coupons that Bi-Lo has doubled. Bi-Lo does not give you credit for the items on their Meal Deal specials.


I think I’ll keep an eye on the Bi-Lo fliers, and see what kind of deals they have, but I don’t have any plans to change my preferred grocery store at the this time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I save more at BI-LO than anywhere else. And I LOVE the fuelperks program! I think it's fantastic that BI-LO's rewarding shoppers for something they already have to do anyway- buy groceries! Just add that on to your total savings. I mean, I actually just filled my car up for $10! I couldn't be happier!!! And I get why FREE items don't count towards points. I bought the Meal Deal and got credit for the money I spent but didn't get credit for the free items because they were FREE. BI-LO is definately my favorite grocery store to save at. I find out about alot of great promotions from their website (www.bi-lo.com) and I just signed up for MY BI-LO (use your Bonuscard to sign up)to access lots of coupons and realized they have TONS of great recipes too!!!