Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Be Green - and Save Green - By Bottling Your Own Water

Love your bottled water but feel a little wasteful every time you toss that empty bottle in the trash or recycle bin?

Use water filters instead. Home faucet-mounted and pitcher filters, like Brita and PUR, cost about $120 a year per person to use. Bottled water or home bottle water services cost nearly $400 in the same time frame!

The home water filters are also the best way to ensure a clean supply of drinking water. They get rid of the contaminants normally found in tap water, such as chlorine, benzene, lead, and pesticide runoff. (Tap water might contain contaminants, but bottled water isn’t always cleaner. About 40% of all bottle water comes directly from city water systems, just like yours.)

Filling your own water bottle at home and carrying it with you also helps to reduce the 1.5 million tons of plastic generated each year from bottled water alone.

Go to www.waterfiltercomparisons.com to the compare cost and performance of the top ten drinking water filters.

Personally speaking, I picked up a Brita-like pitcher and two filters for free at Walgreens a few months ago. I love it! The water tastes so much better than the water straight out of the tap that I drink almost nothing but water now. It's had the duel benefits of reducing my beverage expenses and my waistline. (Yeah!) And my doctor is happy with me because water is definitely much better for me than all the carbonated beverages I used to consume.

No comments: